Interested in Being a Camp Counselor?
Here you will find all of the info you need to learn whether?the role of?camp counselor is right for you.
Nature of Position: To enhance the high school students experience at the Future Latino Leaders Law Camp by serving as a role model and mentor, taking responsibility for their general health, safety and well being, and coaching a mock trial team.
Major Duty: Counselors will assist with the implementation of camp activities. They will supervise, monitor, attend, and actively participate in all activities including classroom presentation, trips and tours. While doing so, counselors are expected to serve as an appropriate role model for the Law Camp students in their charge.
Responsible to: Executive Director and Board of Directors of the HNBF
- Provide 24-? hour supervision of students with attention to all of the following: program, health, happiness, discipline, cleanliness, safety, routine duties, character and skill
- Be concerned for the social adjustment of EACH and EVERY student.
- Help students plan, carry out and evaluate projects and activities, specifically classroom and mock trial activities and assignments.
- Promote and facilitate student participation in ALL
- Assist students with having their basic needs met and any housekeeping items.
- Work with other counselors as a team; assist other counselors in performing various responsibilities and sharing
- Assist with camp programs and encourage student participation.
- Exhibit positive, mature, professional and social skills, personal habits, health, dress, speech, table etiquette and relationships with other staff that serve as a beneficial model to students.
- Serve as a positive representative of the Law Camp and the HNBF while meeting with various community and government leaders.
- Set a good example in ALL you do at the Law Camp. Law Camp is intended to be a meaningful and fun learning experience for the students
- Work with the Law Camp directors and other staff to resolve conflicts and iron out difficulties with facilities, programs, presenters, site-?visits, and students. Keep staff well informed of any issues/concerns as soon as they
- Help develop, carry out and evaluate the Law Camp program ensuring the goals of the program and the integrity of the legal profession are
Counselor Rules and Regulations:
In order to have a safe, healthy camp that is a good experience for everyone, counselors will NOT:
- Use objectionable, foul or obscene
- Engage in or permit verbal or non-?verbal put-?downs of others or bull
- Make threats that are unwise to carry out or administer physical punishments.
- Be under the influence of or in possession of any drugs, alcohol or tobacco
- Use cell phones or electronic devices during the course of the site-?visits and classroom time unless used solely for the purpose of Law Camp duties.
- Make or permit inconsiderate noise and disturbance in the dorms after lights out and before wake up time.
- Dress inappropriately or wear offensive clothing during the Law Camp.
- Invite personal friends, family, or visitors to attend any Law Camp activity or site.
- Leave the site location for reasons unrelated to your specific responsibilities and
- A current law student at an accredited university or recently completed a law degree (within past 8 months prior to the start of the camp) or a former Law Camp Counselor.
- Ability to work as a team member with other counselors, staff and board members.
- Experience working with high school children in a group
- Proven leadership skills in supervising the activities of
- Responsible, friendly, enthusiastic, patient and willing to
- Ability to walk and stand for long periods of time, i.e. 3-?4 hours