Gabriela Menna Barreto Scanlon is an associate in the Litigation practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s D.C. office. Her practice focuses on white-collar criminal defense, internal corporate investigations, and complex civil litigation. She represents individuals and corporations in investigations and enforcement matters brought by the U.S. Department of Justice, Securities and Exchange Commission, and other investigative agencies related to allegations of financial fraud and violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
Prior to joining Paul Hastings, Ms. Menna Barreto Scanlon practiced at another firm with New York and D.C. offices, where she gained relevant experience on high-stakes cross-border litigation and investigations arising out of Latin America, such as judgment enforcement and discovery proceedings. She has also spent time at the São Paulo offices of another global firm, where she gained considerable experience in international equity and equity-linked and debt offering, with particular expertise in cross-border transactions.
Ms. Menna Barreto Scanlon received her law degree and academic masters in law and development in Brazil from the Escola de Direito da Fundação Getúlio Vargas and her LL.M from the University of Pennsylvania Law School. She is a Portuguese native speaker, with fluency in Spanish.
Admitted to practice law in the State of New York and in Brazil. Application for admission in the District of Columbia has beenfiled. Practice supervised by members of the District of Columbia Bar.
- Defended a Brazil-based aerospace and defense executive in the DOJ, SEC, and corporate investigations of possible FCPA violations
- Representing a European company before the U.S. Department of Justice with respect to allegations of bribery and export control violations as part of a global corruption investigation involving U.K. and French criminal enforcement authorities
- Representing a South American company regarding enhancements to its anti- corruption compliance programs and interactions with an independent compliance monitor required as part of DOJ and SEC FCPA resolutions
- Leading investigations of possible FCPA violations for a major pharmaceutical company relating to operations in Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, and Central America
- Representing an international medical device company in FCPA investigations before the DOJ FCPA Unit involving Mexico, Brazil, and various other countries
Speaking Engagements and Publications
- November 2017 (São Paulo, Brazil) “Fraud During Crisis” Turnaround Management Association TMA IX Congresso TMA Brasil de Reestruturação e Recuperação de Empresas
- September 2014 (São Paulo, Brazil) “O ENFORCEMENT CONTRATUAL NO BRASIL: uma análise das decisões do TJSP e TJRS sobre o contrato de factoring.” Dissertação (mestrado)—Escola de Direito de São Paulo da Fundação Getulio Vargas. III. Título
- November 2012 (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) “Afinal, a atividade do factoring no Brasil é um mal necessário?” CONPEDI—Publica Direito
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, LL.M, 2016
- FGV-EDESP Escola de Direito de São Paulo da Fundação Getúlio Vargas, Academic Masters of Law, 2014
- FGV-EDESP Escola de Direito de São Paulo da Fundação Getúlio Vargas, J.D., 2010