Future Latino Leaders Law Camp
July 7-15, 2018 | Washington, D.C.
The application period for the 2018 Future Latino Leaders Law Camp is now OVER.
If you have any questions or concerns please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before you begin filling out the application please be sure you have the following materials.
- Signed Rules and Regulations Form;
- Two (2) Essays (attach separate sheets for your responses);
- Two (2) letters of recommendation (from teachers, counselors, or employers);
- Resumé that may include accomplishments, community service, leadership or civic activities;
- Certified copy of your academic record from high school with your G.P.A.; and
- $50 application fee made payable to The Hispanic National Bar Foundation (please put the student’s name on the notes line of the check) or fee waiver form.
Application Instructions, Forms & Other Resources
Thank you for your interest in the Hispanic National Bar Foundations 2018 Future Latino Leaders Law Camp. Please read carefully the information on this page before completing your application.
The Future Latino Leaders Law Camp is designed to provide Latino high school students like you with the opportunity to learn more about the legal profession. This year, the Law Camp will take place from July 7-15, 2018, in Washington, D.C. All participants will stay on the George Washington University Thurston Hall campus and be chaperoned by adult law school students and HNBF staff. Throughout the week, students will engage in workshops on leadership and receive legal instruction in preparation for the Mock Trial. Students will have the opportunity to meet with lawyers, judges, and officials of the United States government and learn about their career paths.
In order to apply and participate, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a high school student in good standing currently enrolled as a freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior;
- Have an interest in learning about law school and entering the legal profession (the student will provide details on this in their essay responses);
- Be a U.S. citizen, legal permanent resident, or have other valid immigration authorization, and MUST have government-issued identification; and
- Have a demonstrated interest in helping your community and building your leadership skills.
Although there is no cost to participate, applicants must pay a non-refundable $50 application fee made payable to the HNBF, unless a waiver of this fee is requested and granted. Students are responsible for arranging transportation to and from Washington, D.C. unless a need-based transportation scholarship is granted. The HNBF covers all other costs associated with Law Camp.
Thank you again for your interest in applying. Once we receive your completed application packet, we will notify you by email. Applications missing any of the above will be considered incomplete. We will contact accepted applicants at the end of May. If you have any questions about the Law Camp or the application process, please contact the Executive Director at email@example.com or 305-610-6257.
Forms and Other Resources to Help Complete the Application Process
- Letters of Recommendation Info Letter
- Rules and Regulations Form
- Application Fee Waiver Form
- NOTE: An application fee waiver form can be downloaded by clicking the link above. All completed forms should be emailed to Denise Moreno at firstname.lastname@example.org. Ms. Moreno will respond within 24-hours to let you know if your fee will be waived.
Essay Questions & Instructions
In selecting students for the Future Latino Leaders Law Camp, the HNBF requires each applicant to submit two essays. On separate sheets of paper, please respond to the following essay questions and include them with your application. Please take the time to prepare a strong essay that reflects your ability to organize and express your thoughts clearly. You must include your name on each of your essays.
You MUST RESPOND to EACH of the following TWO essays:
Required Format: Font-size: 12; Times New Roman; Double-spaced; Minimum 1 page, maximum 2 pages per essay question.
- The Law Camp Selection Committee would like to know more about you in your own words.
Please respond to ONE of the following two prompts:
A) Submit a brief essay, either personal or creative, that you feel best describes you and discusses why law and a legal career appeals to you. OR
B) How has your family history, culture, or environment influenced who you are and your career aspirations and interest in the law?
- The Law Camp Selection Committee would like to hear about your viewpoints and your ability to support your beliefs.
Please respond to the following prompt:
Discuss an issue of personal, local, or national concern and its importance to you. How does the law affect the issue? What changes, if any, would you like to see implemented?
Before filling out the application, please be sure you do not have any outstanding questions. If you do have questions please email Denise Moreno prior to filling out the application below. email@example.com.