Counsel, Dealers, and Distribution: Detroit
The Service, Sales, and Marketing Group of the General Motors Legal Staff is looking for an energetic, qualified attorney to support its sales and marketing clients and the GM brands (Chevrolet, Buick GMC, Cadillac) with litigation and counseling support for its Dealers and Distribution team.
The position will include comprehensive support for GM’s business units and brands, including but not limited to litigation management for disputes between GM and its dealers, counseling support for the development and administration of policies and programs, and counseling support for the development of new businesses and product distribution methods.
The work requires creativity and innovation in helping design and implement business strategies and dealer network solutions for the future. The practice is fun, diverse, fast-paced, and dynamic.
CLICK HERE for more details and to apply online.
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Manage a portion of GM’s litigation with its dealers from service through trial and appeal, if necessary.
- Hire, manage, and support outside counsel in jurisdictions across the United States.
- Develop budgets and track litigation finances.
- Assist outside counsel in obtaining information necessary in discovery from GM’s vast national and international operations.
- Counsel business groups on administration of existing distribution policies, including issues related to GM’s Dealer Sales and Service Agreement and state laws governing the relationship between an OEM and its dealers.
- Counsel clients on the creation of new polices, business practices, and business units.
- Assist in the coordination of legal advice to support dealer network activities within GM.
- Support the development and evolution of GM’s dealer network as we deliver on GM’s Zero, Zero, Zero vision, including the transition of GM’s portfolio toward EVs and autonomous vehicles.
- Law degree and ability to obtain a license to practice in Michigan (if not already licensed)
3+ years of experience in a law firm or in-house counsel position managing general commercial litigation (required)
- In-house counsel experience (preferred)
- Experience with franchise/distribution agreements, retail distribution and brand issues (preferred)
Innovation & Creativity:
- Open-minded and willing to consider different ways of doing things.
- Fosters an environment for new ideas and approaches to enhance the business.
- Amplifies and leverages differences and various perspectives.
- Comfortable with taking calculated risks to improve the business.
- Guides the organization through change, ensuring strategic focus.
- Projects and envisions how potential ideas will play out in execution.
- Inspires others to get involved and solve problems.
- Motivates and inspires a diverse group of employees and stakeholders by translating corporate objectives and priorities into meaningful and tangible goals, action plans and benefits for the Company.
- Utilizes a straightforward, approachable, collaborative, team-oriented approach to build trust, relying on influencing skills rather than authority. Walks in the clients’ shoes and speaks their language.
- Constantly looks at the business from the outside in, based upon a clear understanding of client needs, preferences, interests, and decision-making criteria.
- Builds coalitions to effectively execute strategy.
- Initiates and builds enduring, trusting relationships with clients for the common good of customers and Company.
- Utilizes ethical and persuasive techniques to influence constituencies toward win/win solutions whenever possible.